Last Updated on March 2, 2022 by Allison Price
You might have tried shampooing your hair with the horse’s shampoo. There’s a horse shampoo that can help you if you have dry hair or split ends. This shampoo was originally designed for horses. Many celebrities, including Jennifer Aniston, credit this product with their shiny and smooth locks.
Mane ‘n Tail is a product that’s well-known in the equestrian world. You may have even used it to trim your horse’s hair. It is now a popular product that many women love. It’s possible you are wondering what this is and how it can help you. Yes, it is a HORSE shampoo. Let’s find out if this is right for us.
What’s Mane ‘n Tail, Anyway?
Mane’n’Tail horse shampoo is designed to soften and shine a horse’s hair without stripping its natural oils. It is a well-known brand among horses and has been in use for more than 50 years.
If this shampoo is only for horses, why would humans use it? Horses are more sensitive to hair and skin than humans. Horse owners often test the hair product on their horses to make sure it is safe. This is how Mane’n Tail broke through the equestrian line. Since then, many horse owners have reported positive results. They claimed their hair felt softer, thicker and more manageable.
We recommend that you always verify the active ingredients and potential side effects on your hair and scalp before purchasing any product. This is especially important if the product was made for horses. Before you try this shampoo, we will discuss the benefits and side effects.
B Benefits of Using Tail and Mane
Let’s first look at the ingredients of Mane ‘n’ Tail to determine its potential benefits.
- Water/Aqua/Eau – Most shampoos have around 80 to 90% water and the remainder is made up of active ingredients.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a surfactant or cleaning agent that removes dirt and grease from hair and scalp. It leaves a clean, fresh feeling. Sulfate can strip your hair of too much moisture. This can make it dry and unhealthy.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – a mixture of closely related compounds obtained from coconut oil and dimethylaminopropylamine that moisturizes dry hair, adds softness while fighting dandruff and stimulating hair growth.
- Cocamide MEA is a thick, waxy substance made from coconut oil. It supports primary surfactants in cleaning and revitalizing hair.
- Glycol Distearate is a stearic acid-based substance that gives the product a pearlescent appearance.
- Sodium Chloride, also known as table salt is a thickener that makes shampoo foamy and bubbly.
- Propylene Glycol is an alcohol that aids hair in absorbing and trapping moisture.
- Parfum (fragrance) – This pleasant scent is safe but not recommended for people with sensitive scalps. Experts recommend that it is hypoallergenic to prevent allergic reactions.
- Hydrolyzed Collagen is a breakdown of amino acids that are easy to dissolve and build hair proteins. It also strengthens the skin and protects your hair follicles from any damage.
- Citric Acid – This acidic ingredient helps maintain the shampoo’s pH level and absorb excess sebum. This ingredient can cause hair to become whiter due to its natural bleaching and oxidizing properties. It can cause hair loss by reducing melanin or colour pigment.
- Butylphenyl Methylpropional is a component that also adds fragrance to the product.
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone(MCI) and Methylisothiazolinone(MI) – These hard to pronounce chemicals are preservatives that prevent mould and bacteria’s growth products, keeping users safe when using the products at home.
The Mane ‘n tail shampoo is a combination of the above ingredients. It offers the following benefits:
- Promotion of hair growth
- Repairing split ends
- Hair that is thicker and shinier
- Oily hair can be eliminated
Side Effects and Precautions
Horse shampoos like Mane’n Tail can help you get shinier, healthier, and more manageable hair. Side effects can occur because it is intended for horses.
- Too much keratin can cause hair dryness and damage.
- Extra frizz for people who have curly hair or wavy hair
- Hives, rash and itching due to the benzalkonium chloride formulation
- Color loss
- It can strip your hair of too many natural oils
To prevent color loss, you should avoid using Mane’n Tail on hair that has been color treated. The shampoo can also be used less frequently to reduce side effects.
Where to Buy and How Much
Amazon sells Mane ‘nT shampoo and conditioner in a set for $22.99. Each 32 oz bottle has an apple blossom scent and weighs 32 oz. You can also find it in drugstores, big box or equestrian shops, as well as beauty supply outlets across the country. It is often less expensive than many commercial hair products brands, and it’s safe to use. Many people tried it out to see the difference it makes.
How to Use Mane & Tail Shampoo
Applying a horse shampoo can be done in the same way as regular shampoo:
1. Apply about 2 tsp Mane ‘n tail shampoo to your hair. Use the shampoo to create a lather, then rinse it off completely.
2. You can use the regular conditioner to shampoo your hair. Apply the shampoo from the ends to the roots. You can also comb your hair if you prefer a thicker coating. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes, then rinse it off.
3. Spray bottle conditioners can be used as an alternative to leave-in conditioners. Spray the conditioner throughout your hair if you’re using this type. To ensure the spray is evenly distributed, you should comb your hair using a wide-toothed brush.
Positive and negative Reviews
Although some people are a little hesitant about trying this shampoo for horses, others took the chance and Mane ‘n Tail lived up to their expectations. Many satisfied customers have left an impressive review. Brendale, for example, has been using the shampoo for over a year. She said that it was a lifesaver. It has made my daughter’s hair thicker and my hair grows faster.
Sare Lea is another happy customer. She shared that the shampoo has been available in her country for a short time and that she heard great things about it. Her hair was thick, frizzy, and dense. She said that her hair was still frizzy but made her hair look shiny and sleek .
It is possible that not everyone who tried it had the same results. Some people were impressed and raved about Mane ‘n Tail shampoo. Others felt the exact opposite. Staycie for instance, commented that her hair fell out after using the shampoo. She also had itchy bumps . Although she didn’t lose much hair, she did say that it was not suitable for thick or wavy hair. Staycie was not the only one who felt the product was effective on her first two washes. However, she noticed that it dried out and became dryer the third time she used it.
Mane ‘n Tail, the barn favorite Mane & Tail, isn’t just for horses. It has a strong reputation among humans as well. It not only gives humans a healthier hair, but also allows them to grow their hair to their full potential. These results are not 100% guaranteed. There have been several complaints about it. To avoid any damage, you should only use it occasionally. To determine which product is best for you, we recommend that you consult a dermatologist before applying any hair products.
I’m Allison, born and raised in San Diego California, the earliest memory I have with horses was at my grandfather’s farm. I used to sit at the stable as a kid and hang out with my Papa while he was training the horses. When I was invited to watch a horse riding competition, I got so fascinated with riding!