Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Allison Price
There are four mango trees in our horse paddock. The mangoes that fall from the tree are often eaten by our horses. We wondered if our horses could get sick from too many mangoes.
[question name=”Katie”) There are four mango trees in our horse paddock. The mangoes that fall from the tree are often eaten by horses. We wanted to know if our horses could get sick from too many mangoes. [/question]
[answer]Mango (Mangifera Indica) is not reported to be toxic for horses. Some compounds in the skin of the leaves, bark, and fruit can cause skin reactions in some people. However, this reaction has not been reported in horses.
If swallowed, the pit or seed will be oval-shaped and flattened on each side. It also has a fibrous coating that can lodge in a horse’s pharynx. The “choked” horse will be unable swallow his food, and may salivate, dropping whatever food he tries to swallow. To prevent any further complications, your veterinarian should examine your horse immediately.
I’m Allison, born and raised in San Diego California, the earliest memory I have with horses was at my grandfather’s farm. I used to sit at the stable as a kid and hang out with my Papa while he was training the horses. When I was invited to watch a horse riding competition, I got so fascinated with riding!